I got divorced/separated during the tax year, what should my filing status be?

Created by Shubha Bisht, Modified on Wed, 24 Jan 2024 at 11:52 AM by Shubha Bisht

Per the IRS, if you are unmarried, your filing status is Single or (if you meet certain requirements) Head of Household or Qualifying Surviving Spouse.


The IRS considers you married if you don’t have a final decree of divorce or separate maintenance by December 31st of the tax year. If you are married, your filing status is either Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately.


Your state law determines if you are legally divorced or legally separated. If you are still considered married under your state law, you may file using the status of Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately.


Note: there is an exception for certain taxpayers who lived apart from their spouse for the tax year to file as Head of Household. You can check out our article about filing as Head of Household for more information.


If you still aren't sure what your filing status should be, the IRS has a tool to help you determine your filing status here.


Additional Resources:


This content is provided for informational purposes only and should not be construed as tax, legal, financial, accounting, or other advice. Rules and regulations vary by location and are subject to change, so please consult with an expert if you need advice specific to you.


Any third-party links are provided for informational purposes only. The third parties and their sites are not endorsed by Beem and Beem is not responsible for, and has no control over, their content, privacy policies, or terms of service.

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons
CAPTCHA verification is required.

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article