Can a married person claim Head of Household filing status?

Created by Shubha Bisht, Modified on Wed, 24 Jan 2024 at 11:44 AM by Shubha Bisht


If you’re married, usually the Head of Household status isn’t an option for you unless all of the following are true:

  • You will not be filing jointly with your spouse.

  • You were separated from your spouse and they were not living with you for the last 6 months of the tax year.

    • Please note that temporary absences such as illnesses, being away at school, vacation, business, or military service generally do not count.

  • Your home was your dependent’s main home for more than half the year.

  • You paid more than half the cost of running your household during the year.

You can read more about the Head of Household filing status here.


If you’re still unsure what filing status to use, you can check out our article about filing statuses. You can also use the IRS tool What is My Filing Status? and Publication 501, Dependents, Standard Deductions and Filing Information for more information.


Additional Resources:


This content is provided for informational purposes only and should not be construed as tax, legal, financial, accounting, or other advice. Rules and regulations vary by location and are subject to change, so please consult with an expert if you need advice specific to you.


Any third-party links are provided for informational purposes only. The third parties and their sites are not endorsed by Beem and Beem is not responsible for, and has no control over, their content, privacy policies, or terms of service.

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons
CAPTCHA verification is required.

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article